First of all, thank you to the 180 organisations who contributed to our third COVID-19 industry impact survey closing this week:
- 79% of respondents are corporate, NFP or charitable organisations
- 67% said they will apply for the extended wage subsidy meaning they believe their revenue will be down by at least 40%
- 70% said a COVID-19 events stimulus and recovery fund is important or very important, despite the wage subsidy extension and the change to Alert Level 1
- 30% of respondents (excluding sole traders) expect to have to make more staff redundant
- The main challenges foreseen within the next six months are:
- Lack of funding (sponsorship, councils, trusts & gaming trusts, others) for 69% of respondents
- Lower number of attendees / lack of confidence from attendees
- Closed borders, which 56% of respondents see as a challenge
- Lack of new business
- 82% intend to implement the Voluntary Code for Events (‘COVID Code’) of which 33% would like to use the ‘COVID Code logo’. Noting that some will stick with their own in-house procedures and policies.
- Lastly, the feedback was fairly equally spread regarding the options for the 2020 Eventing the Future industry conference. However, only 50% would be planning to attend the conference this year, and majority would be sending only one attendee from their organisation
Taken together the above results highlight the fact that the sector is still struggling badly despite the fact we’re now at level 1.
Thank you once again to Touchpoint Group for kindly assisting us with their AI tool to collate the data.
Awards and conference update
Based on the above feedback and internal discussions within NZEA, we have made the difficult decision to:
- Postpone the 2020 Eventing the Future industry conference in Napier to 2021 with the new dates of 30 Sept & 1 Oct 2021 - mark your diaries!
- Re-schedule the Awards Gala Evening in Auckland to October this year, and combine it with a professional development day offering (final date, content/format and cost TBC). We just know we need a big industry get together again! More details to follow shortly.