News and Updates

COVID-19 INDUSTRY UPDATE: Alert level decision, vaccine certificates, tools & resources

04 October 2021

Today's alert level decision

As per this afternoon's announcement, areas in alert level 2 will have the 100 person gathering limit for seated indoor venues removed as of 11:59pm tomorrow. At this stage we understand this will apply to indoor seated events, however we will seek confirmation from DPMC as a matter of urgency.

While Auckland remains at alert level 3, the Prime Minister announced a staged 'roadmap' to relieve some of the level 3 restrictions that are least likely to risk spread of the virus. The settings will be reviewed by cabinet on a weekly basis.

Covid-19 vaccine certificates (CVC) at events

The Government is leading discussions with the events sector, including NZEA, in regards to the mandatory Covid-19 vaccine certificates for events. We will update the industry as soon as we are able.

Vaccination and employment

While we encourage members to seek professional legal advice specific to their situations, we have come across some useful commentary from Chapman Tripp which explains the current legal landscape: 

Additionally, All About People have provided a risk assessment guide to help you with your decision making in relation to COVID -19 vaccinations in the workplace, and in line with government requirements. Thanks to Michelle MacDonald for generously sharing these resources with the industry.

Regional Events Funds (REF) open today

Mackenzie Region
Applications for the first round of the Mackenzie Regional Events Fund will open on Monday 4 October 2021. Organisers are invited to apply for investment partnership for events based in the Mackenzie district between 1 February 2022 – 1 August 2022. Click here for more information. 

Auckland Unlimited’s National Programme funding round and expressions of interest for Elemental AKL 2022 are now open. The National Programme is one of three programmes through Auckland’s Regional Events Fund will be distrubuted.

Funding applications and expressions of interest will be accepted until 31 October 2021 for the National Programme, and 19 November 2021 for Elemental AKL.

Travelling with your alert level

Further to last week's update, we are still awaiting confirmation if the current advice re: travelling to events in a split Alert level 2/alert level 1 situation is likely to change or be amended in the near future. 

Letter to Minister Nash

We are still awaiting a response from Minister Nash in regards to our letter of 14 September, and the follow-up email of 23 September sharing the results of our Industry Impact Snapshot Survey. We'll keep you posted as soon as we hear back. You can read our letter here.As always, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at with any queries you may haveKia kaha, 

Ségolène de Fontenay
General Manager, NZEA